Watched Les Misérables today and got a kick out of hearing and later saying "Jean Valjean" the French way.
(Totally applicable because I'm most likely learning French next semester)
Les Miz was not too bad, but not stellar as a film experience, in my opinion.
Maybe because I haven't read the book nor watch the musical before, so I wasn't that attached to the characters.
The part which was most dramatic (read tear-inducing) for me was definitely Fantine (Hathaway) singing I Dreamed A Dream.
Partly because of the lyrics and then, Anne - whose anguished face took up 1/2 the screen for approximately 3 consecutive minutes.
How could one not feel anything?
Then, there was the singing.
Which was really surprising because boy could these hollywood actors sing!
Loved Hugh for his fab acting though I thought his singing in the beginning was pretty shabby and was beginning to wonder if I'd to read (and with great effort) the chinese subtitles throughout to catch what they were singing.
And then Amanda Seyfried (Cosette) blew my mind, now that I know she sings a high soprano. Like a high, high soprano. Power.
But there's Russell Crowe (Javert) in the picture whom I thought was just meh.
Felt like he wasn't as expressive as the others or is that a part of his role.
Maybe I'm just prejudiced, never really liked him as an actor, heh.
Eddie Redmayne as Marius was okay. I knew him from My Week With Marilyn and had thought he was pretty charming initially but watching him onscreen today made no impact on me, like he lost that charm or something.
Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron as the Innkeepers were delightful comic relief. It's amazing how Helena always plays all the atypical weird woman roles but we aren't tired of her yet, I think she's magic.
Plot was easy to follow and the music pieces were unique on their own yet still retained harmony as a collective, like good patchwork.
Though at the times when there were many parts singing in one instance, it sounded pretty darn messy. Could've had more action or visuals too but okay, the acting was superb.
Les Miz was good but not spectacular enough for me to grant a second viewing.

No comments:
Post a Comment