Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Just finished my run and what deja vu.

Here's what happened:

My usual run is a circular route to and back home. The difficult parts are along the park connector that's just beside the expressway. So and always, after I complete this part of the connector that ends @ Bangkit, I let myself walk (because I practise a system of rewarding) for awhile before continuing running again after I reach the Dairy Farm junction/exit.

Well, today, at the Bangkit exit, I met the familiar uncle - let me call him Mr. Fantastic. And I have reasons to.
The familiar uncle is also a runner, he's dressed in red running gear most of the time and has gray hair. He looks like a pro and strangely japanese. Thus, mr. fantastic.

Anyway, I've always seen him because he runs in the opposite direction along the park connector. Today was the first I saw him strolling around at this point at Bangkit

As I approached the bend, Mr. Fantastic saw me too and started running. The runner in me, of course, told me to continue (remember this is where I usually take a walk, take a breather), because runners don't quit! And this is also the tacit part where runners understand each other.

What ensued was, reminiscent of my x-country days.

I knew it was impossible to beat him since I was hanging on last breaths (and even if i weren't) so I kept pace behind him. Mr fantastic, in turn, jogged and kept turning his head to see if I was still behind ^^

Well to assure that I wasn't delusional; I stopped and walked awhile because I was dying (shame on me) while he continued, moving far ahead. Then, I too, gave up the thought he was letting me keep pace with him.
However, after a while, idk he must have realised no one was panting furiously behind him so he turned to look - and it was the kind of turn that meant he was indeed waiting for you - and saw me trailing, withering behind.
He then, jogged EVEN slower.

When I saw that, I thought "zomg, okay, i got this, ketching up nao!"

So I did, he turned and must have heard the resuming of panting breaths and encroaching steps. He started running quicker too and I kept pace with him until the exit at Dairy Farm ^^
We diverged paths then - he sped to cross the junction towards the left while I was behind, heading right.
Then after crossing, he turned and looked for me and that was our look of acknowledgement - 'we're not heading the same paths, farewell, see you running again!'

Heh.

Mr fantastic reminds me fondly of my coach.

My coach was a manly man hahaha, with moustache and tattoos. I wonder how is he now. He was like that, motivating in the same silent but assuring way.
Ah, all the believing and achieving and sweating and crying and winning and losing. Makes me believe more than ever that women need masculine traits in some things too.

No comments:

Post a Comment