Tuesday, February 18, 2020

to be offered life

I'm currently lying on my bed, with my notebook on my lap, for the first time ever.
It's somehow never occurred to me to do this really relaxed and usual thing of actually utilising my daybed and propping my laptop on my belly to do things on the internet?
This is a first.

Am in the middle of doing bsf homework, after catching up on the audio lecture, all on my bed. It's great. This year, we're starting on Acts—apparently, it ends in half a year & then we move onto another book. I wanted to do a post because I'm at Acts 2, at the Pentecost, and there is a question that asks to recount a time where I'd experienced unity in the Spirit. It's quite incidental that from today's lunch with B, I reflected that perhaps I'd been so accustomed in my earlier years to be in agreement with more of the team since my bosses were fellow believers, that the current dynamics really makes moving forward arduous. Right now, as I ponder on this, it seems pretty clear to me that at church meetings, we'd always been blessed with unity in the Spirit, and there are rarely disagreements—ones that divide fundamentally. This is no longer the case at work, and it truly saps the spirit... This is the picture painted of the Body:

Acts 2:42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 43 And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. 44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. 46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

How amazing, that one could be dizzy moving about in such accord.
What does this mean for the believer who engages with the world? It is to offer something else, something better. The Holy Spirit empowers flawed believers to be His powerful witness in a world that is dying. It is to offer life—the fullness & sweetness of which we have only taken a sip in our earthly, temporal moments of sheer joy & contentment. Dei gratia.

No comments:

Post a Comment