HMM HMM HM.
I don't know if she likes me and we'll continue,
but, i felt so strangely attached just after an hour together.
I'm talking about my first commercial tuition.
Commercial because I got this via an agent, so there's zero second, third degree sort of relationship between the kid and me. It's a whole new experience with a lot of impression-making. And boy, was I nervous as the hour drew closer.
It happened after some conversing on the phone with the agent as the go-between on Sat, the mother wanted a "trial" tuition that would only last an hour to assess if I'm what they want. So okay, why not, I agreed.
As it is, you expect the unexpected.
They were a chinese chinese family who obviously needed someone effectively bilingual. Well.
Thus, the biggest embarrassment for the day (or ystd) was... Not knowing what nus is in mandarin. The mother asked where I was from and she listed 2 separate schools but I didn't know which was nus right, so I replied in eng, "nus" and "wo de hua yu bu shi na me hao". Of which, she remarked (in mandarin) "I thought Singaporeans are fluent in mandarin?" and we both knew then we were wrong for each other.
I obviously didn't score well with the mum, duh.
Idk what the kid thinks though.
But it was absolutely lovely to talk about geography again, after a year.
Anyhow, I gave what I could (in spite of the 'poor introduction') and I know that I could give much more if we continued. And one thing, it sucks being assessed (the irony)- I felt like I'd to sell myself.
An hour was up and I began to leave.
It's a strange feeling, receiving money like that.
I stepped out of the house and the kid and I smiled for goodbye.
Just like that.
I don't know if she'll call me back.
It's a strange feeling.
Suddenly we're strangers again.

No comments:
Post a Comment