Monday, September 2, 2013

Sputnik Sweetheart



Finished the bulk of this in 2 sittings at the pool, with the rest read during those quiet, transitory periods before slumber.
My appetite for this book is huge: I think scandal makes all of us sickening voyeurs and worst, interested sickening voyeurs.
There are of course, Murakami's trademark cats, dreams and body/mind dualism in this novel but putting aside the obviously sexualised part of this book, Murakami explores alienation in contemporary society. Besides the Sputnik allegory, the protagonist of the story vanishes into space too, leaving behind the few that connect to her, similarly disconnected to the world they live, or rather, exist in.
Yep, that's the word - existentialism.

Spoiler (not really but okay, heads up):
I didn't like the ending because there wasn't one - and that's just the point you see. Murakami's writing for ennui. And writing of reality. Read if you're lonely, read if you're not - I mean, it's time we face up to the real world.

P.s. Yep, I love the sound of Sputnik Sweetheart too.


"Lonely metal souls in the unimpeded darkness of space, they meet, they pass each other, and part, never to meet again. No words passing between them. No promises to keep."

No comments:

Post a Comment