
Hail my new favourite album of now - Comedown Machine by The Strokes
IT IS SO GOOD I'M TEARING (':
I would've bought the physical disc if I hadn't already burst my pockets on music.
And just fyi, that seemingly lackadaisical album art is actually a rip-off of their recording house RCA's brand of recording tape which was used in the past.
Since I started listening on my classic, (oh I haven't already christened it? HAHA) I've been totally robbed of the convenience of scrolling through lyrics.
But strangely, even though my first reaction wasn't very positive - like zomg I should've bought an itouch? - I wasn't as handicapped as I thought I'd be.
Even before the classic came along, I've felt myself feeling less anxious to read the lyrics of songs I've heard, but to just focus and enjoy the music.
Okay, so my point is, Comedown Machine was the first album I listened unadulterated (without presampling on itunes, youtube, whatever) and completely.
And I loved it, loved it. The whole album was as good as or better than Angles (2011) and here are some of the notable tracks.
1. Tap Out -
Wicked guitar riffs from the get-go that made my hairs stand. The opening track is a good gauge of what I mean when I say this album is gooood.
Easily the most likeable song on the album with that distinct electronic tune, this is a fast number that displays the full range of Julian Casablancas' vocal capabilities.
Plus no one else makes auto-tune sound so attractive.
4. Welcome To Japan -
Same but different, #4 rolls pretty seamlessly after One Way Trigger and so far this album is near perfect. Loving the chorus of this song and the tune of those rapid strings.
6. 80's Comedown Machine -
The track of which the album takes its title from, it's neatly stacked at 6 of the list of 11.
The gravitas of this song is played out through its slower rhythm, less complex guitar parts and less synths - making this sound like a stripped-down track, and the album's first real difference in mood-setting.
7. Slow Animals -
My favourite track. Though admittedly, it sounds as though Casablancas merely mumbles his way through the song, why does it sound like such delightful music to my ears? (HAHA)
It has this incredible, incredible unique-sounding hook that takes advantage of Casablanca's faultless falsettos, making this song a real stand-out.
11. Call It Karma, Call It Fate -
Is fitting as the last piece with its smooth mellowed out notes, the track sounding almost like an adieu from an old-school monochrome film of yore. There's something strangely familiar in its melody. The track subliminally nudges you into a state of reminiscence, and at its end, you suddenly realize 40 minutes isn't that long after all and instantly, automatically, you hit replay.
No comments:
Post a Comment