Once upon a time in December, I decided to get some fabric dye to tie-dye my baggu canvas duck bag.
After much waiting (it wasn't procrastination, okay), I finally had the time to do it!
So I googled for some steps online, made sure I had the stuff and space to do this, and here's what went down lol.
First and foremost,
You gotta have gloves, rubber bands and of course, buy the dye.
After much deliberation at Homefix, I finally settled on Terracotta brown because I thought it'll be the most neutral of colours that would allow me to match my bag with many different outfits.
Next,
I bunched up and tied parts of my bag so that it looks like this thingamajig with growths on it.
And since I now know how my bag turned out, here's a tip! -
TIE them really tightly, and tie as many parts of the bag as you can find, because this would make the blotches more visible and of course, the bag would show a more contrasting effect.
Plus, if you don't want the dye to stain your floors and stuff,
you should use a rubbish bag or the like as a base for your work space.
So after following the instructions on the dye pack - adding salt to increase solvency, mixing dye etc., I dumped my blop of a bag into the bucket and turned it around in the dye solution to make sure every bit of my bag was dyed.
Also, I decided to throw in an unwanted shirt later on because I felt like "there's so much space in there for a friend!".
Didn't regret doing so!
I followed some specific folding methods found on the internet for the shirt btw!
Which as you will see later, does come out nicely on the shirt; partly also because as compared to the tough canvas material of the bag, cotton is easily managed into twists and folds.
After soaking it overnight (although people on the internet say that there's no difference once you've soaked it for about an hour or so, this is my first time and I NEED to be successful lol),
here's what it looked like washed and drained of excess dye.
I have to say I was really delighted with my impromptu decision of throwing that tee in because the patterns are gorgeous.
After drying, here's how they all turned out!
Oh and yeah, look how badly dyed my two iron-on patches are now.
Can't care less about that red-headed lion now though, all my efforts shan't be reduced to this.
Okay, so I have to say, I was just slightly disappointed with the way my bag turned out because I thought there could've been more blotches. BUT the shirt's really amazing guys!
AND yes, the colour's pretty way darn off Terracotta brown, so I deduce that the next time I do something like this, I probably need to reduce the amount of water I mix in with the dye.
But what can I say, mon baggu sac est ma bébé, j'aime il beaucoup.
And this colour is like... totally out of any palette man.
But what can I say, mon baggu sac est ma bébé, j'aime il beaucoup.
And this colour is like... totally out of any palette man.
It's not pink (thank God!), it's definitely not brown, and it's not like burgundy because it's too light.
And just as I was basking in the thrilling thought of having invented an exotic shade, my sister had to pop my bubble, saying quite impassively, "it's red mud, mud."
And just as I was basking in the thrilling thought of having invented an exotic shade, my sister had to pop my bubble, saying quite impassively, "it's red mud, mud."
Well, of course, being ever the unbeliever of my sister, I did a search online and lo, red mud does NOT look like this??
But I actually found its name too, it's *drumroll* SALMON, HAHAHAH.
Why didn't I think of that lol.










No comments:
Post a Comment